Skip to main content

I use alcohol to zone out from the stresses of life and to combat boredom and loneliness. Tired of waking up hating myself.

Where am I?

In The Monument Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

monumentdaisy
monumentdaisy

Hi @josephine29  So glad you shared. Thank you for writing. This makes total sense! It's incredibly common to use alcohol as a coping mechanism, especially now. You are not alone. 

I encourage you to read this article, "Tips For Managing Your Relationship With Alcohol While Social Distancing" by one of the clinicians at Monument, and check out this support group. Let me know what you think! I'll be here every step of the way. 💚

Anonymous

I did / do the same thing. I cannot tell you the number of boring meetings, dinners, etc. where I've drank to make it interesting. Unfortunately, I drank when I got home too. Living with boring work people is something we both need to work on, because I can hardly take that shit myself. And the day to day, especially in a pandemic where every other day feels like the same, feels like why not have a big night? 

It just sucks. For me, the drinking makes me sad and I'm tired of being sad. I'm working on it too. I hope you're ok. 

josephine29
josephine29

Thank you.  I am divorced, so yes being alone during a pandemic is hard.  I stay busy during the day, but 5pm hits and all I want to do is open a bottle of wine.  I tell myself I won't drink it all and sometimes I don't.  Often I do.  I started taking Naltrexone over a week ago.  At first it seemed to curb my cravings, but the last couple days not so much.  Also, the side effects are rough- headache and nausea.  Not sure if it's for me, but going to keep taking it for now.

Honestly, I can't blame the pandemic on my drinking...I drank a lot of wine even before this.  Last night I drank a full bottle of wine and woke up depressed and angry at myself.  The night before I committed not to drinking at all and woke up feeling great.  It seems to be all or nothing with me.

carmen_kisses
carmen_kisses

I have been using alcohol to change my mental space too. It either helps me completely "clock-out" of the stress or break out of my shyness and fear of social interaction, but I don't NEED it. I can go days, weeks and months without it, last week for example. I like my life and my evenings (and mornings!) better when I don't drink during the week and limit it when I do. My goal is to be able to enjoy a few glasses of wine on the occasional Friday date night, holidays and social events without using it as an escape. I chose more therapy sessions because I really want to have a platform where I can build myself up and have mechanisms to manage my life that don't require me to tranquilize myself with booze for a little bit of peace.

josephine29
josephine29

Carmen- sounds like you have a good plan.  Hope you reach your goals!