Skip to main content

I am wanting to change my relationship with alcohol. To learn to drink in moderation if possible

Where am I?

In The Monument Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Anonymous

The same with me, good luck.

monumentdaisy
monumentdaisy

Hi there @whimsical_orbit_959  ! I'm really glad you're here. A lot of our members here want to learn to moderate -- so know that you are not alone! We're here to support, no matter what your goal looks like. I have complete confidence that you'll get from where you are to where you want to be. Keep taking the action 👊

Anonymous

What are the steps some people are taking to drink moderately?  I  find I can't have certain alcohol in the house. 

determined_pearl_921
determined_pearl_921

I don't keep alcohol in the house at all during the work week anymore. On the weekends I let myself indulge but have new rules (no "pre-gaming" before any event, no drinking before 5, etc.) I now drink wine out of a small chapagne flute so that each time I refill I'm aware of it and pace myself a bit better. Today marks my first complete week taking Naltrexone and it's been a week of firsts. First time going a work week without a drink, Saturday night was the first night in forever I've started a movie after 7pm and was awake (and remember) the ending.  Good luck!

platinum_band68
platinum_band68

Good for you!  Congratulations!

Your last sentence made me laugh because, I have to watch my shows over in the morning because I can't remember what happened...

keep up the good work!

Anonymous

What made you decide to want to start taking Naltrexone? I am so nervous about medication. Can you drink, moderately, while taking it? 

platinum_band68
platinum_band68

I had no idea that there was a medication option until I joined Monument. At this point, I am motivated to try anything!

The medication is working so far and it’s been a week. I have to say that I’m not trying to be alcohol free- I just want to drink less.  I have gone from 4-6 drinks a night to 1-2.

I remember going to bed every day this week which is amazing for me 😊.

Good luck with whatever you choose- just being here is a wonderful start! Congratulations!

platinum_band68
platinum_band68

Yes, you can drink while taking it.  There is another medication that makes you feel not so good if you drink while taking it. Good luck 😊

breezy_neptune_992
breezy_neptune_992

Thank you for sharing! I am also trying to drink less :)

Maybe, I will consider the medication...and congrats to you on your progress!

wandering_acorn_801
wandering_acorn_801

I’m on the same page as you all. I don’t want to quit all together. I want to be able to drink less.